Monday, November 26, 2012

Inviting the Enemy to Spend the Night

What if someone was attacking you or someone you love? In the book, What Would You Do? John Howard Yoder addresses the question that is forever put to those who believe that loving your enemies includes not taking their life. Along with taking a look at what it was that Jesus meant, Yoder includes several stories of people who have had to face their enemies, and did so in love.

The chapter that struck me the most was titled, Defense Through Disarmament, by Angie O'Gorman. Angie woke up in the middle of the night with a strange man in her room. After a few seconds of thoughts that ran through her head, she knew she couldn't hurt the man, and she didn't want to. Angie then began a simple conversation with him, and invited him to spend the night downstairs. He did, and stayed to breakfast. Angie said she didn't sleep that night, I wonder if her would-be attacker slept any? Why did he choose to stay and eat breakfast? Wasn't he afraid she would call the police? Whatever thoughts ran through his head, he no longer saw a victim, but a friend.

I was not paid or compensated in any way to review this book.

1 comment:

  1. Wow what an incredible testimony! I don't know if I could do what she did. I'm too much of a fraidy cat plus it would be hard for me to not feel violated that a stranger is in my home without permission.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Please note that comment courtesy rules apply.